You are here: Home // Local News, Top Stories // Kansas schools to build tornado safe rooms

Kansas schools to build tornado safe rooms

Ten Kansas schools and districts will share $3.9 million in federal funds to build tornado safe rooms.

The money comes from the FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.

Safe rooms are usually big enough to shelter a school’s population, and they must be strong enough to withstand winds up to 250 miles per hour.

Greenbush USD 609 is among the districts receiving the funds.

Federal funds cover 75 percent of the construction costs with the remaining 25 percent coming from state or local funds.


Tags:

Comments are not allowed on this story.



All content © Copyright 2000 - 2011 KOAM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158